Molds are fungi that grow in damp places in our home. They are unsightly and can also damage structures such as walls and window sills. Mold in high concentration may cause allergy, rashes and breathing difficulties in some people. They thrive in damp, dark places such as bathrooms, attic, basements, etc. If you think getting rid of mold is easy, you are in for a surprise. They are quite tough and are difficult to get rid of. Fortunately, there are some readily available household items you can use to eliminate mold.
Just spray some undiluted vinegar on the mold infested area and leave it on for a few hours. Scrub the mold using a brush to remove it and wipe clean with a cloth. If the smell of vinegar disturbs you, try adding a few drops of your favorite essential oil to it. You may also dilute the vinegar with water, but this will reduce the potency of vinegar and may not work as effectively.
Mix baking soda with water and take the mixture in a spray bottle. Spray this on the mold and let it sit for a few hours, preferably overnight. Clean the affected area with a damp cloth to get rid of the mold. Want to increase the mold fighting ability of this mixture? Just add some vinegar into the spray bottle and get ready to blast away those molds.
Tea Tree oil:
Mix about 2 teaspoons of tea tree oil with 2 cups of water. Spray this solution on the mold infested area or apply the solution using a cloth. Make sure you shake the bottle each time before use to mix the oil and water. Tea tree oil has powerful antimicrobial properties which kills the fungi and is also effective in preventing mold from appearing again. Tea tree oil has a strong fragrance that may disturb you. But do not worry, the smell will dissipate by the time you are back from work or from running errands.
Grapefruit Seed Extract:
Mix a few teaspoons of grapefruit seed extract with about 2 cups of water. Take this solution in a spray bottle and spray on the affected area. Leave it to dry and do not rinse. Unlike vinegar and tea tree oil, this method does not leave any lingering smell.
Mix about one teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide with a cup of water. Take this solution in a spray bottle and spray it on the mold. Leave it on for about 15 minutes and wipe clean with a damp cloth. Hydrogen peroxide eliminates the mold by oxidizing it.
Mix few teaspoons of bleach to about a liter of water. Spray this solution on the affected area and scrub with a brush to remove the mold. Do not rinse the area, this will ensure that the bleach that is left behind will prohibit mold growth.
Mix equal parts of ammonia and water and take this solution in a spray bottle. Spray this solution on the affected area and let it sit for about 15 minutes. Brush the area if necessary to remove the mold.
Last but not least, remember that molds thrive in dark, damp places. So, make sure you air out the bathroom and other enclosed areas in your home. Don’t forget to make use of that ventilation fan in your bathroom. This will ensure air circulation in the room thereby inhibiting mold growth.